ACRL ANSS AAA Liaison 2018-2021
The ACRL Anthropology and Sociology Section (ANSS) is currently seeking applications for the ACRL/ANSS Liaison to the American Anthropological Association (AAA). Liaisons serve a three-year term (July 1, 2018- June 30, 2021); are responsible for outreach, education, and communication between AAA and ACRL; help form strong cross-organizational relationships; and advance the interests of ACRL and ANSS. Applications are due on May 8, 2018.
The American Anthropological Association (AAA): (from AAA Statement of purpose)
- Advances anthropology as the science that studies humankind in all its aspects, through archeological, biological, ethnological, and linguistic research;
- Furthers the professional interests of American anthropologists, including the dissemination of anthropological knowledge and its use to solve human problems;
- Fosters and supports the development of special anthropological societies organized on a regional or functional basis;
- Publishes and promotes the publication of anthropological monographs and journals;
- Encourages anthropological research, acts to coordinate activities of members of the Association with those of other organizations concerned with anthropology, and maintains effective liaison with related sciences and their organizations.
- Takes action on behalf of the entire profession and integrates the professional activities of anthropologists in the special aspects of the science; and
- Promotes the widespread recognition and constant improvement of professional standards in anthropology.
The American Anthropological Association (AAA), founded in 1902, is one of the largest Anthropological organizations in the world and was democratically formed to address the needs of people interested and working in the field of Anthropology. The AAA is also responsible for regularly releasing issues of the journal, the American Anthropologist.
For more information about the organization, please visit http://www.aaanet.org.
Liaison responsibilities and expectations:
- Provide liaison reports to ACRL and ANSS (examples available upon request)
- Attend ALA Liaison Assembly meetings
- Attend ANSS Liaison Committee Meetings (Ex-Officio Member)
- Communicate with the ANSS membership via reports in Currents, virtual meetings, blogs etc. (Past reports available at https://anssacrl.wordpress.com/publications/currents/)
- Attend the AAA annual conference and participate in the conference by joining committees, giving presentations, presenting a poster, participating on panels, etc. (Funding may not be available every year, but the liaison can apply for funding from ACRL and ANSS)
- Present and implement ideas for projects related to strengthening the relationship between ACRL/ANSS and AAA
- Keep abreast of scholarly interests and other matters that might be pertinent to ACRL/ANSS and academic librarianship
Deadline for Applications: May 8, 2018
- Current membership in ANSS, ACRL, and AAA (AAA may be joined upon appointment)
- Experience collaborating with anthropology faculty and providing assistance to anthropology students
- Interest in coordinating activities to increase interaction between AAA and ACRL/ANSS, ability to articulate ideas for collaboration and discuss options for carrying them out
- Financial support to attend AAA Annual Conferences for the duration of the three-year term if not fully funded by ACRL (Note: ANSS may provide limited, supplemental funding)
- Experience with or interest in integrating information technology into anthropology academic programs
- Experience with or interest in outreach and education efforts
- Excellent leadership abilities and communication skills
- Record of ANSS and/or ACRL service (committees, task forces, etc.)
- Participation in one or more sections of AAA
- Advanced degree or graduate coursework in anthropology or related areas
Nominees must submit:
- A letter of application articulating qualifications to Triveni Kuchi, ANSS Liaison Committee Co-Chair (Triveni.firstname.lastname@example.org) and Richard Freeman, ANSS Liaison Committee Co-Chair (email@example.com)
- A current vita (CV)
Selection Process Timeline
- May 8, 2018: Applications due
- May 9-May 22, 2018: ANSS Liaison Committee reviews submitted applications and makes recommendations
- May 22- June 12, 2018: ANSS Executive Committee reviews ANSS Liaison Committee recommendations
- May 12-June 20, 2018: ANSS Liaison Committee chair(s) contacts successful candidate and notify unsuccessful candidates.
- Successful candidate attends ALA Annual meetings.