ACRL ANSS ASA Liaison 2019-2022
The ACRL Anthropology and Sociology Section (ANSS) is currently seeking applications to serve a three-year term (July 1, 2019- June 30, 2022) as the ACRL Liaison to the American Sociological Association (ASA). Liaisons are responsible for outreach, education, and communication between ASA and ACRL to form strong relationships and advance the interests of ACRL and ANSS.
“The American Sociological Association aims to articulate policy and implement programs likely to have the broadest possible impact for sociology now and in the future.” The ASA is a non-profit membership association based in Washington, DC. It was founded in 1905 and has over 13,000 members. The ASA is home to 52 special interest sections and publishes 9 professional journals and magazines.
For more information about the organization, please visit http://www.asanet.org.
Liaison responsibilities and expectations:
- Contact the previous ACRL ANSS ASA liaison and the current ANSS Liaison Committee Chair for help and information especially about ongoing work and projects.
- Join and be actively involved in ASA. Participate in a subject section of ASA.
- Work to increase collaboration between ACRL ANSS and ASA by
sharing information with members of both organizations via email (minimum) and
other impactful communication venues such as presentations at ASA and ACRL
conference on topics of interest to both groups.
- Keep abreast of scholarly interests and other matters that might be pertinent to ACRL/ANSS and academic librarianship
- Provide annual report on ASA’s meeting and your activities to the
ACRL Board, ANSS Chair/Executive Committee, and ANSS Liaison Committee.
- Communicate with the ANSS membership via reports in Currents,
virtual meetings, blogs etc. Past reports available (https://anssacrl.wordpress.com/publications/currents/).
- Attend ASA, ALA, and meetings of ANSS, ANSS Liaison committee, and
ACRL Liaisons Assembly Committee. You may be
able to supplement your institutional funding with ACRL funding. Please note
funding request proposals are due the first of August each year for attending
meetings in the upcoming year.
Deadline for Applications: April 1, 2019
- Current membership in ANSS, ACRL, and ASA (ASA may be joined upon appointment)
- Experience collaborating with sociology faculty and providing assistance to sociology students
- Interest in coordinating activities to increase interaction between ASA and ACRL, ability to articulate ideas for collaboration and discuss options for carrying them out
- Financial support to attend ASA Annual Conferences for the length of the three-year term is not fully funded by ACRL (Note: ANSS may provide limited, supplemental funding). ACRL Liaison committee reviews funding requests (deadline August 1).
- Experience with or interest in outreach and education efforts
- Excellent leadership abilities and communication skills
- Record of serving ANSS and/or ACRL on committees, task forces, etc.
- Participation in one or more sections of ASA.
- Advanced degree or graduate coursework in sociology or related areas.
Nominees must submit:
- A letter of application articulating qualifications to Triveni Kuchi, ANSS Liaison Committee Chair, email@example.com
- A current vita
Selection Process Timeline
- April 1- April 15: ANSS Liaison Committee reviews submitted applications
- April 16- May 15: ANSS Executive Committee reviews Liaison Committee recommendations and selects liaison
- May 16-May 30: Liaison Committee chair(s) contacts successful candidate and notifies unsuccessful candidates.
- Successful candidate attends ALA annual for the start of the 2019-2022 term.
If you have any questions, please contact ANSS Liaison Committee Chair:
Triveni Kuchi at firstname.lastname@example.org.