ACRL ANSS ASA Liaison 2016-2019
The ACRL Anthropology and Sociology Section (ANSS) is currently seeking applications to serve a three-year term (July 1, 2016-June 30, 2019)as the ACRL Liaison to the American Sociological Association (ASA). Liaisons are responsible for outreach, education, and communication between ASA and ACRL to form strong relationships and advance the interests of ACRL and ANSS.
“The American Sociological Association aims to articulate policy and implement programs likely to have the broadest possible impact for sociology now and in the future.” The ASA is a non-profit membership association based in Washington, DC. It was founded in 1905and has over 13,000 members. The ASA is home to 52 special interest sections and publishes 9 professional journals and magazines.
For more information about the organization, please visit http://www.asanet.org.
Liaison responsibilities and expectations:
- Provide liaison report to ACRL and ANSS (example available upon request)
- Attend ACRL Liaison Assembly meetings
- Attend ANSS Liaison Committee Meetings (Ex-Officio Member)
- Communicate with the ANSS membership via reports in Currents, virtual meetings, blogs etc. Past reports available (https://anssacrl.wordpress.com/publications/currents/)
- Attend the ASA annual conference, participate in the conference by joining committees, giving presentations, presenting a poster, participating on panels etc… (Funding may not be available every year, but you can apply for funding from ACRL and ANSS)
- Present and implement ideas for projects related to strengthening the relationship between ACRL/ANSS and ASA
- Keep abreast of scholarly interests and other matters that might be pertinent to ACRL/ANSS and academic librarianship
Deadline for Applications: April 1, 2016
- Current membership in ANSS, ACRL, and ASA (ASA may be joined upon appointment)
- Experience collaborating with sociology faculty and providing assistance to sociology students
- Interest in coordinating activities to increase interaction between ASA and ACRL, ability to articulate ideas for collaboration and discuss options for carrying them out
- Financial support to attend ASA Annual Conferences for the length of the three-year term if not fully funded by ACRL (Note: ANSS may provide limited, supplemental funding)
- Experience with or interest in integrating information technology into sociology academic programs
- Experience with or interest in outreach and education efforts
- Excellent leadership abilities and communication skills
- Record of serving ANSS and/or ACRL on committees, task forces, etc.
Participation in one or more sections of ASA.
- Advanced degree or graduate coursework in sociology or related areas.
Nominees must submit:
- A letter of application articulating qualifications to Katie Anderson, ANSS Liaison Committee Chair, email@example.com
- A current vita
Selection Process Timeline
- April 1-April 15: ANSS Liaison Committee reviews submitted applications
- April 16-May 15: ANSS Executive Committee reviews Liaison Committee recommendations and selects liaison (Midwinter meeting)
- May 16-May 30: Liaison Committee chair(s) contacts successful candidate and notifies unsuccessful candidates.
Successful candidate attends Annual for the start of the 2016-2019 term.
If you have any questions, please contact ANSS Liaison Committee Chair:
Katie Elson Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org)